Love this message from Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o!
And then recently, I saw a story about research with rats. When one rat is trapped in an uncomfortable trap, a second rat will learn to free the trapped rat. They will do this generous act even before enjoying a tasty chocolate treat. Not only that, they will share the chocolate rather than hoard it for themselves. I have not clearly defined the word compassion for myself, but I think this is a decent example of animals showing compassion for each other and another one’s suffering.
And what can we learn from monkeys about how we use money, how we view equality, ? See this short video reaction of monkeys getting unfair trade values, or listen to this TED Talk by Laurie Santos for a more detailed description of this research.
So what makes us different? The only thing I have heard of being different so far, human’s have the ability to recognize their weaknesses and create a tool to overcome them. But I wouldn’t say we have mastered that yet.
I haven’t seen all of these movies yet, but totally agree with the list so far:
2. Fresh – shows organic food production compared with mass-produced farming
3. Girls – shows the struggle some girls go through to get an education around the globe
4. The Cola Road – documents a life saving program of distributing needed health remedies using Coca-Cola crates
5. Jobs – the life story of Steve Jobs as he founded Apple
6. Happy – What is really at the root of happiness?